We love Taco Tuesday! Tacos are family friendly, healthy, and fast! Plus you can try a different kind every week. This is one of our faves, even Liz’s 12 year old LOVED them. Don’t be afraid of the lentils! We bought all of the ingredients at Trader Joes, including the lentils. They are already cooked and come in a vac sealed refrigerated pouch, but have no seasonings or additives. Just perfectly cooked lentils. They’re great to have on hand in the fridge. Find them in the produce section at TJs. This recipe also uses tahini, which is a sesame based sauce used in a lot of Mediterranean dishes. It is delicious and can be used in addition to or in place of hummus. It is very caloric, but we keep the calorie count way down by mixing it with Greek yogurt. If you’d like to make these vegan just sub out hummus for the Greek yogurt. You can serve these tacos in any tortilla or pita that you like, or make them into bowls (our fave).
Makes 4-6 servings
Total cooking time 30 min
- Cooked lentils, about 16 oz
- 1 onion diced
- 1 bag or package mushrooms, diced (onions and mushrooms should be similar in size to make a consistent mixture with the lentils)
- 1 t olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Tortillas (we like the raw tortillas from Tortilla Land, corn or flour, cooked fresh)
- 1 C nonfat plain Greek yogurt (like Fage)
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 C Tahini
- Avocado, sliced
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add onion and saute 3-5 min until translucent, season with a little S and P.
- Add mushrooms and continue to saute until mushrooms release their juices and are very soft. Season with more S and P.
- Add lentils and a little water if dry, reduce heat to med low, cover for 5 minutes to heat through. (The mixture should have the consistency of ground meat) Use this time to mix the sauce.
For Tahini Sauce:
- Mix Greek yogurt, Tahini, and the juice of one lemon. Taste and add more tahini or lemon if desired.
- Heat tortillas if using.
- Fill with lentils, top with arugula, sauce, and avocado, or assemble in a bowl.