Tortilla Soup is one of our faves to get at a Mexican restaurant because it seemed to hard to make at home! We could never figure out how they got that creamy texture without adding a ton of actual cream! Mystery solved- tortillas! By adding some chopped corn tortillas to a bunch of veggies, they cook down and add a wonderful body and texture to your soup without adding fat. If you are vegetarian, skip the chicken it will still be delicious. This recipe is simple enough for weeknights and makes plenty for leftover snacks or meals. The toppings really make this special so don’t skip them!
Prep time, 20 min
Total cooking time, 1 hour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 bell peppers, any color (we used red, yellow, and orange), chopped
- 1 can chopped green chiles (if you like spicy, use a fresh jalepeno )
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 10 small corn tortillas, chopped
- 2 C shredded chicken (we cooked 3 small breasts in the oven wrapped in foil with lemon, salt, and pepper for 30 min at 375)
- 1 C frozen corn
- 3-4 T chili powder
- 1-2 T cumin
- 1/2 C sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 T paprika
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T butter
- salt and pepper
crumbled tortilla chips, diced red onion, chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, low fat sour cream, taco sauce, avocado
Hand blender or regular blender
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large stockpot over high heat.
- When butter is melted, add onion and garlic, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and green chiles or jalepeno, stir and cook 5 more minutes.
- Add tortillas, continue stirring over med/high heat until everything is very soft. Season with some salt and pepper, you can add more later!
- Add chicken stock and spices. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 20 min, then blend with hand blender in the pot, or in a regular blender in batches until smooth. Some pieces will remain if using a hand blender.
- Add chicken, frozen corn, and cheese, stirring until everything is melted and heated through. Taste and add more salt, pepper, or spices.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
A one cup bowl of soup will be approximately 300 calories.