Kitchen sink pasta! This is your go to dish when you think you have nothing to eat in the house! Yes, it is pasta, but that’s ok because once you whip together this hearty sauce you can use half the amount of pasta. The sauce is the main dish! Use this recipe as your guide but use whatever veggies you happen to have on hand. If you are vegetarian, omit the sausage. Don’t like brussels sprouts? Use green beans or spinach. There are no rules. As long as everything is seasoned well, it will taste great. And since you control the portions and fat, it’s Shred and Sparkle approved!
Makes 6-8 servings
Total cooking time about 20 min
- Hot turkey sausage, removed from casings
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- garlic, chopped (any amount)
- Brussels sprouts, roughly chopped
- Mushrooms, sliced
- Basil, thinly sliced
- 1 32 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 8-12 oz pasta, any shape (here we used the last of 2 types that had the same cooking times)
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of water over high heat and bring to a boil.
- In a large heavy saucepan, brown sausage over med high heat until cooked through.
- Remove sausage from pot and set aside. Drain all but 1 T fat from pan. If not using sausage, heat 1 T olive oil in pot before step 4.
- Add onions and garlic oil in pan over high heat. Cook 3-5 min stirring constantly.
- Add brussels sprouts and mushrooms to pan, or other hard veggies. Cook, stirring, until bright green and tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomatoes and cooked sausage. Season with more salt and pepper. Simmer over med heat until flavors combine, about 10 min.
- Add pasta to boiling salted water. Cook according to package directions.
- Add pasta to sauce. Sauce should be hearty and chunky. If too dry add a little of the pasta water. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Add basil to pasta and top with a little cheese if desired.
Other great combos: 1. Pancetta, onion, green beans, peas, spinach, whisk 2 eggs with 1/4 C parm and stir into hot pasta with some pasta water. 2. Sweet chicken sausage, onion, sliced bell peppers, tomatoes. 3. Diced (very small) zucchini, carrot, onion, celery, crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, diced fresh mozzarella cheese.