We love quinoa! It is a grain that is a complete protein, and you can use it just as you would pasta or rice. It can be a side dish but we love it as a main dish, and this Asian inspired recipe is delicious, low in fat and calories, and super simple! It’s great leftover, so make plenty and package it up for quick easy lunches! You can buy quinoa virtually anywhere, and any type or color will work. Make it a Meatless Monday staple!
- 2 C quinoa
- 1 Box Mushroom or Vegetable broth
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- one onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 T minced ginger root
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 C each frozen peas and shelled edamame
- 1/3 C soy sauce
- 1 heaping T hoisin sauce
- 1 heaping T black bean garlic sauce (found in the Asian section of the supermarket)
- 2 T oyster sauce
- 1 T sriracha sauce
- sesame oil
- olive oil
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions in mushroom or veggie broth, adding water if necessary.
- Set another large pot of water on the stove to boil.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 t each olive oil and sesame oil over high heat in a large skillet.
- Saute onion, garlic, ginger, and carrot, stirring constantly, until onion is translucent, and carrots are crisp tender, turn off heat and set aside.
- Cook broccoli in boiling water (see our veggie basics recipe if needed) 3-5 min until slightly tender but still bright green. Remove from water and set aside.
- Mix soy sauce, hoisin, black bean garlic sauce, oyster sauce, sriracha, and 1 t sesame oil in a small bowl.
- Add frozen peas and edamame to skillet with onion mixture.
- When quinoa is cooked, add to skillet, and stir to combine with onion mix, then add sauce mixture and stir, heating peas and edamame through.
- Add broccoli last so it doesn’t overcook in the hot quinoa, and serve. Great warm or cold!